DCI Injector noise

Got a problem, look here to see if its known or let others know of the issue
gaztech

DCI Injector noise

Post by gaztech » Wed May 06, 2020 7:14 am

Hi everyone. New to the forum. Need some considered advice please. I apologise for the long post but this needs some explanation.

I have a 2011 Juke 1.5 DCI. I've had it about 3 years now. When I first purchased it I was very happy with it. However, as time has gone on I'm becoming more angry with it. Aside from the plastic dashboard creaks and rattles I am really, really sick of the engine noise!

Ok, it's a diesel so I expect some "normal" diesel noise - that's fine but... I have had 3 injector failures over the last 3 years - one a year so far. These have been rectified but now I'm left with a horrendous injector rattle (or at least that's what the mechanics tell me it is). It sounds very much like "tappet noise". On tickover there is virually no noise - it's fine. When you pull away and the engine is under load this noise increases as the accelerator is pressed and the engine comes under load. Reduce the accelerator slightly and the noise reduces proportionally. All the mechanics I've spoken to say that these engines do this... ! It did not make this noise when I first got it.

Cold or hot, noise is the same. It's horrible. It seems that a lot of Jukes suffer from this as I've noticed quote a few (Nissan) DCI's where I live that produce a similar noise - (Qashqai's too) - but not all of them! The question is "What can I do about it?"

It's almost definitely due to engine management. I've noticed that when it rains, the noise is virtually non-existent! Every time. Correct injector codes are logged in the ECU - we've checked that. I'm convinced that it's something to do with emissions control.

I should say that I don't live in the UK but I'm a Brit living in Malta. It's pretty hot (or at least very mild) here all the time so it doesn't rain that often - but when it does, unbelievably, the car shuts up!

I'm appealing to any mechanics on here that could shed some light on what on earth is going on. I'm at my wits end with this. I'm ready to get rid of the car but I don't really want to :(

I had the DPF cleaned out a while ago as one mechanic suggested that this could be the cause. I have to admit, after doing this I definitely had more power and things did seem smoother but I still had some noise. Maybe all of these things are linked.

Now here's a thing...
I've noticed that all the Renaults that have this engine do NOT make anywhere near as much noise as the Nissans. If it's the same Renault DCI engine then why is this? I've yet to hear a Renault that makes anywhere near the noise of the Nissans. They are always very much quieter. Does this mean that the Nissan electronics are not up to scratch?

Comments would be appreciated! Thank you.

marrygold

Re: DCI Injector noise

Post by marrygold » Thu May 07, 2020 6:52 am

i have noticed on mine as the oil gets thinner because of the dpf the engine gets louder.When i change the oil it makes a massive difference
i now change it twice a year. i change the filter once a year,its a bugger to get to.Its your choice
It is also a lot less noisy when it warms up.
you could also check the air filter box lid, i had to zip tie it down as some scruffy mechanic had broke the lid.that also made a massive difference.

Lewisbryant

Post by Lewisbryant » Thu May 07, 2020 11:53 am

Any chance of a video of the noise ?

gaztech

Post by gaztech » Mon May 11, 2020 12:56 pm

Hi guys.
A video of the noise would be very difficult to take as the noise is worst when the car is moving and the engine has load. When it's ticking over and not under load the noise is not really there. The car is actually due an oil change so I'll definitely try that. I don't think any oil gets up round the injectors though (noise really sounds like tappets - though the mechanics tell me it's the injectors) so we'll see!

I've also ordered a new airfilter (which I think could contribute to the engine management being fooled into thinking something is up). I'll post back when it arrives and I've fitted it.

I simply must get to the bottom of this as apart from the racket the engine makes, I like the car. Aaargh!

Lewisbryant

Post by Lewisbryant » Fri May 15, 2020 12:29 pm

I have dealt with a similar issue on the new navara D23 noisy top end when higher rpm but only when loaded on the road, It did indeed turn out to be an injector, diagnosed it using chassis ear kit by clamping 4 channels onto the top of each injector in the best way possible, got a bit awkward though as injectors arent easy to clamp onto with them. Using the chassis ears with someone else driving keeping It at the noisy rpm and load. Flicking through each injector channel could pick up the noisiest one, replaced it and all sorted. This is how I would go about diagnosing yours if it were to come in to the workshop. Hope this helps

gaztech

Post by gaztech » Sun May 17, 2020 7:53 am

Hi.
Many thanks for you input here. Ironically, the noise seemed to get much worse when an injector was changed. I wanted to do it right so I made sure that a brand new genuine Renault injector was fitted despite the mechanic telling me that I could just use a recon one. I'm now suspecting that it's this injector that may be at fault. However, it can be a very expensive business to speculate by changing injectors!

I changed the oil this week and I have to say that the noise has reduced by 50% at least. OK, so it's reduced the noise - but if it's an injector making the noise then surely changing the oil won't affect it? ! Or am I wrong here...?

I guess it's possible that I may have an accumulation of noise due to several factors. Your suggestion regarding the diagnosis is very interesting. I will have to find out if anyone here in Malta has a similar measurement system as it does sound like a very reliable way to find the problem. Your input does help. Thanks.

vexorg

Post by vexorg » Sun May 17, 2020 3:40 pm

I always thought the nissan/reault diesel sounded like a bags of spanners was thrown into the engine compared to citroen diesel I have. In fact the citroen engine sounds very nice for a diesel.

marrygold

Post by marrygold » Tue May 19, 2020 6:55 am

diesel gets in the oil with having a dpf.making it thin .